While we are all in this unusual situation of isolation, I thought it would be a good idea to send out a home practice sheet, especially for those of you whose schedules don’t quite work with the online classes I’m running 🙏🏼
Please try to remember any instructions that have been given during classes, especially those that may relate to you specifically, and don’t forget to use your equipment as this will help you with your alignment.
I have purposely kept the instructions to a minimum, please try to remember the instructions that your mind/body remembers from class. Or for more information look in ‘Light on Yoga” by BKS Iyengar or there are lots of other books available. Please feel free to email me any queries.
HOME PRACTICE SHEET
Start all standing asanas from Tadasana, and repeat on second side when required.
- Spread the sole of the foot, join the big toes and inner heel.
- Bend the knees and join the inner legs. Straighten the legs, lifting the kneecaps and front thighs up, and moving the shins back.
- Lift the front body up, and roll the shoulders down. Outer upper arms roll back to broaden the collarbones.
- Lengthen and lift the spine, crown of the head up to the ceiling.
Stand against a wall to see that the alignment is correct.
- Bend the right knee, to the side and hold the ankle, place the heel at the top of the left inner thigh.
- Grip in the left hip as the right foot presses.
- stretch the arms up straight
- Move both buttock bones down to the floor.
Stand near a wall for support, if the balance is unsteady.
- Stretch up the arms, grip the outer arms in and see that the elbows are straight. Move the arms back to align with the back of the ears
- Grip the inner knees together as you bend the legs, to sit back as though onto a chair.
- move from the back of the waist down towards the buttock bones, the abdomen should not be dropping forwards
- Keep the chest lifting.
Practice from sitting on the edge of a chair, to see how much the thighs have to release down as the torso and arms stretch up.
- Bend the knees, take the arms across the chest and either jump or step the feet apart.
- Lift up the toes of the left foot and turn them in slightly, lift the toes of right foot and turn from the root of the thigh so that the leg and foot out completely, alignment should be to the arch of the back foot.
- Keep stretching the arms, to help this action lift the sides of the trunk.
- Extend to the right bring the hand to hold the ankle, shin area.
- Stretch up the top arm, lifting the sternum towards the chin, keep the head alignment to the ankle. Where possible look up to the ceiling.
See that the front leg knee is facing the same direction as the ankle and toes. Turn the thigh to get this action. Place the hand on a brick or chair, as you press the hand turn the chest forwards.
ADHO MUKHA SAVASANA
- Lie face down on the floor, hands by the sides of the chest with the finger tips under the shoulders. Spread the palms of the hands, middle finger pointing forwards.
- Tuck the toes under, feet hip width of wider apart. Press on the hands, come up onto the knees, do not move the distance between the feet and hands.
- Press the hands and feet and lift the hips up high, to straighten the legs and lengthen the spine.
- Without losing the height in the hips, extend from the back of the knee to the heel down to the ground.
For stiff shoulders, take the hands to a wall, and press the thumb and index finger into the wall.
Try to practice these asanas for 20 to 25 minutes each day, this week.
If the current situation continues I will endeavour to post a group of 5 to 6 asanas for you to practice next week.
The online classes are going well so please consider this as an option available.
Keep safe and well everyone, and I look forward to when we can all be back together.